Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Loving So Much It Hurts

I had Mexican today. By myself, though I rarely eat Mexican alone. It is one food that’s better when shared. Like sushi. Or hibachi.

As the hostess walked away, I laid my hand on the menu and was overwhelmed by the memory of being in Lupe’s with a man I love, a man who slipped away to another plane of existence, two-years back.
2006ish-Port Hueneme Air Show

As I wait for the server, I see on Facebook that his daughter, also dear, has posted how much she’s missing him. And I swear, Harold Richland is sitting beside me, flipping through the menu, knowing he will order Chili Colorado when the waitress shows.

I am in La Bamba, on a different coast, to write while I eat, as I often do. But the love wells up, in to my throat, and the food is hard to swallow.

Harold I miss you.

That’s all.

I miss you.

And I love you, still, so much that it hurts.

~ O.J. Barré

3 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

I feel that pain for the ones I have lost. Today my wife and I took her father out to eat. She thinks he may be leaving us soon. He's having a tough time getting around these days.

Losing a companion, a partner, has to be a very difficult thing. I don't ever want to experience that.

Take care.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Dear Lee,

It's been several months since you left your comment and I'm confronted by the rudeness of my lack of response. Considering I read my previous two posts before reading this one, my last in 2016, I am appalled. Yet, oddly, not surprised. It seems it has been a treacherous and slippery few months, not to mention the last several years, and I'm only beginning to "come to".

Now I'm wondering how time has treated you and your loved one/s, so I'll be by your blog this evening.

~ That Rebel, OJ Barre'

Arlee Bird said...

Nice to get a reply to a comment no matter when it comes. Life has been treating me well. Currently on a vacation and having a wonderful time.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...