Monday, November 14, 2011

Taking Time to Be Grateful

It is November. And Gratitude month. So why am I not feeling grateful?

Is it that I am dwelling on the whys and wherefores of daily life, the potholes and aggravations that are inevitable along any road, no matter the traveler?
http://www.gratefulness.org/

Yeah. It is.

So. In this moment, I resolve to remember the good, to take time each day to see what is right in my world. I will make gratitude lists, count the bumps on my steering wheel while driving and enumerate all the big and little things, the wonders of my life, the joys, the successes, the loves.

I will see through the eyes of my heart, rather than constantly scanning the horizon with my critical mind.

I will look for the blessings, for the miracles. And remember that life is about perspective, after all.


http://bradwhitt.com/

I will remember that we get what we ask for, and that what we focus on grows bigger. I want more ease and comfort in my life, so I will focus on that which brings it, rather than whether my bills are paid.

I will tear my eyes away from the terrifying abyss of life and look within, where the God of my understanding resides.

I will be grateful by practicing an attitude of gratitude, and create good by dwelling on the good already present.

So. For the rest of November, while my writerly friends are pounding away at NaNoWriMo, I will show up here, on Blogger, to share my thankfulness.

And maybe, just maybe, you'll catch the bouquet of gratitude, too.

Happy we're all in this together, Olivia J. Herrell

5 comments:

Jacqueline Howett said...

...And what a lovely bouquet it is too! I felt every word.

"I will be grateful by practicing an attitude of gratitude, and create good by dwelling on the good already present."



I was thinking all this just before I read your blog.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Expect good things. We don't always get what we want but we often get what we expect.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Lovely post! I was thinking these very thoughts yesterday realizing I needed to express more gratitude for the many blessings I enjoy rather than whining about what I don't have.

February Grace said...

beautiful. looking forward to your posts! *hugs*

bru

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Jacqueline, thank you so much. Looks like we're on the same wavelength.

Diane, amen!

Karen, why is it that, in spite of all the blessings, we focus on the irritations? Human condition?

Bru, oh yay!!! *hugs back*

~ Olivia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...