Monday, April 4, 2011

Calvin

"Who's that girl walking down the street?
That's my baby, she's my baby." ~ Calvin B. Streets

Seven years ago I met the love of my life. His name? Well. That depends. He kinda has a split personality. I'm in love with both personas and have been almost from the day we met.



That's him in the video. And that's me he's singing about.
I almost lost him. And that's a whole 'nuther story.

His stage persona is Calvin B. Streets. And he's a genius. I know music. I'm a connoisseur. A couple of weeks after we met, he hands me this CD. It was the next-to-final cut of the ten original songs he was including on the master for his CD He Ain't Done With Me Yet. It's available on CDBaby if you're interested.

He leaned over and slipped it through the window of my car as I was leaving that day. I thought, "Oh shit. I really like this guy. What if I listen and it sucks? What will I tell him?" I'm not one to hurt people. Or lie if I can help it.

I popped it in the CD player and out blasts this rockin' Stratocaster, sounding all Stevie Ray Vaughanish and sexy. Holy moly. That's HIM?? His sex appeal went up a few notches and I breathed a sigh of relief. I wouldn't HAVE to lie. After a couple of days I knew most of the words to the songs.

Over the years we were together in California, I watched Calvin create song after song: words, music, the whole shebang. His process intrigued and delighted me. It seemed so easy. I'd get up in the morning and there he'd be, on the sofa in the living room working out chords, words, whatever.

God, I've missed that.

His process inspired me. It gave me the permission and the want-to to write. I wrote a yet-unpublished Children's book. Then, after a long hiatus, I started blogging. And now I'm working on two novels.

Thank you, Calvin. You are an amazing musician, writer, producer. And friend. I've missed that, too.

I'm so glad you're back in my life. I'm not letting you go this time. I promsie.

Can't wait till you're here in the deep south with me, the home of the blues and the heart of Dixie. Where you, oh bloozman, belong.

~ Olivia J. Herrell

Calvin's CD is available on CDBaby. His new all-acoustic CD will be out late this summer or early fall. In the meantime, check those out on youtube. Enjoy. :)

9 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

This is wonderful Olivia, loved the post also the video, In fact a great letter C altogether.

Yvonne.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Loved the video. But from your title, I thought for a moment that you were about to write about my snowman-making hero, Calvin of CALVIN AND HOBBES!

Jennifer Shirk said...

He sounds great!!

Ruth said...

I thought like Roland- Calvin and Hobbs.
I am glad you got him back in your life.
I'm going to go check out the CD.

Michelle Gregory said...

very cool. now i'm very curious. :)

Eric W. Trant said...

I thought Hobbes, too!

Nice heartfelt post.

- Eric

jkraus8464 said...

Interesting story. Full of heart and soul. Glad you have found your someone, both of him. Love this globe twirling around thingy. It is beautiful. Will follow in the A-Z.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Hi Yvonne, thank you so much!

Sorry if I misled you, Roland. Glad you like the video.

Alex, hey!

Jennifer, thank you, I think so, too!

Hi Ruth, hope you like it!

Michelle, he's the one I was talking about in my review of Eldala.

Hi Eric, awww. I love it when you stop by.

Jeanne, so glad you stopped by, I'm hopping on over to your place in a few minutes. I saw the globe on Roland's site. Click on the bottom of mine (or his) where it says Free Neoplanet to get one.

~ Olivia

Michelle Gregory said...

i wondered if that's who that was. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...